Sunday, September 22, 2019

Review of Myrtle's Chicken and Beer Market Square







Let me start this blog by giving a shout out to our sponsor Cuts by Reggie.  If you are in the Knoxville area and looking for a barber, Cuts by Reggie is the guy for you. You can see Reggie at Diamond Cutz on 4720 Western Ave. Knoxville, TN 37921.

So for today's review we went to Myrtle's Chicken and Beer. We are back in historic Market Square to check out another of the new establishments in the area. Now I say new loosely because they have been established for a while in my mind but some may say that is not so.
The environment at this location is what you want for a restaurant on a Sunday afternoon to enjoy a meal with friends.  It's a very cool vibe and falls in line with other restaurants Downtown. Family events, social meetings, etc, can be had at the location.  We were there around noon and the crowd wasn't too bad.
Let's talk about the menu. The menu is focused on what's in the name, chicken,  and why shouldn't it be. Who doesn't love chicken? The prices on the menu are in the range of the restaurants in Downtown but I don't really feel it was the price point it should be at. (You will understand why I say this later in the blog.)

So where should I start about the review.  Well, let's start with the good. The staff at Myrtle's was very pleasant and personable.  Our waiter made sure we were good and was up for our questions about  the menu. We were advised to try the chicken and waffles and I was tempted.  But when I walked into the restaurant I saw a sign saying "Hot Chicken Here". (It may say something different but I  have a pick that shows what it said verbatim.) With that being said, you know what I was having.
So, we started the day with some apps. (Appetizers. I know I am too old to say apps but it felt good. LOL) So we had the Cheddar Drop Biscuits and the Chicken in a Blanket.  The biscuits were first and the presentation was cool. The came out in a basket and the smell drew you in. But when you bit into the biscuit it was a different story. The biscuits were doughy in the middle, definitely undercooked.  And you were pulled in by the buttery smell and the word "Cheddar". But the cheddar was not really present and all in all the flavor was really bland. (Shout out to Guy Fieri for taken us to Flavortown because today we took a trip to Blandville.)
The next appetizer was the Chicken in a Blanket.  The chicken was served on two skews. The portion size was great and nice for a group of 3-5 people.  It was served with Big Daddy's Candied Bacon Sauce, which was good and carried the chicken.  The difference between eating the chicken with and without the sauce was evident.  The chicken by itself was bland.  It has waffle batter on it but something was missing.  When the chicken was dependent on the sauce and that should not be the case.
So after the appetizers,  it's time for the meal. I said Hot Chicken was on the sign and I was getting it for sure.  I have been to a few places for Hot Chicken.  Each one has their own level of heat. Some good,  some bad and some that make you want to come back for more. 
So let me say this first.  The food came out pretty quick,  which in most cases is a plus, but today wasn't that day. There was no heat coming of the chicken,  which if cooked fresh it would be piping hot. The sauce had a good balance of hot and sweet but the temperature could and should have been better.  The sides were decent. I got the collard greens and potato salad.  The potato salad was good and I really can't talk bad about it because potato salad can be made in so many different ways.  I like my potato salad a little sweet but you can't please everyone. 
The greens were cool. There was some seasoning and I was able to finish the serving. (Should have got some vinegar.) I guess I am use to having greens that my Madre and my sister cook to a seasoned perfection in my eyes. (And yes I am bias.!!)

It was cool to be with my people and enjoying the company that we always do but the food was a let down. Maybe I expected more or I set the bar to high in my head but I was disappointed.  This review gets a regular ole' XL Tee. I really wasn't impressed and don't believe I will be back. (Shout out to the waiter,  he was good and the people were good.)
Well, I feel like this one might be my longest blog but had a lot to speak on. I hope you continue to rock with me. Pictures will be included and hey, you have to judge for yourself.

As I always like to do, I want to thank you for the read, share with you people and let me know where I should go next. Take the time to enjoy your people and the world we live in. But most of all, take the time to treat yourself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment