Sunday, November 17, 2019

Review for Babalu on Gay St.

Today's review is for a place that I have heard so much about that I had to see what the buzz was about. I've seen people talk about it, post about it and tell me this spot is a place I need to go to. Well, tonight was that night.

Now, the place itself was very modern and appealing to the eyes. The lights outside shined bright lighting up the clear night sky.  The inside was very intimate and cozy. They have a open kitchen that gives you a view of what is going on with your food. From the scene alone I was impressed and ready for an excellent experience.  Let's just say the experience took a turn for the worst quickly.

We were meeting up for our Men's FELLA-ship and the hostess was not the friendliest.  It seemed like she was not wanting to be there tonight.  We have a little wait which is not a problem.  When we finally get seated,  we were there for at least 10 minutes before a waitress came to our table. There were a couple and their child that came in after us that got served before us. When the waitress finally comes to our table after walking pass us multiple times,  she ask if, "we have been waited on?" This question should not be one, in my opinion, that should be asked in a restaurant. Needless to say, this killed the vibe for sure.

But we can't dwell on the service because that is not the reason we came. (Good service is appreciated for sure though and expected.) So for my meal today I went outside of my comfort zone a bit. I ordered the shrimp and grits. Now both selections I enjoy separately but was intrigued and wanted to branch out with my selection. 

So let's start with the presentation.  The presentation was very appealing and made you want to dig in. The shrimp were a nice size and they placed each one on a bed of cheese grits. It was garnished with green onions and served with 2 slices of bread.  The shrimp were also covered in a mushroom sauce that was a twist to the meal. 

Now let's talk about the taste. The shrimp were good. There was some type of breading on them but it didn't stand up to the mushroom sauce. The mushroom sauce added great flavor to the shrimp and worked well with the grits too. Now the grits were good but a little much. They used a chihuahua cheese that had great flavor. (And for a guy who enjoys his grits with sugar and butter,  this was a big step. And that's a debate for another time.) All together it wasn't a bad meal but for the price I was underwhelmed. 

So one thing I can say for sure is that this outing was not one of my favorites.  It started on the wrong foot and couldn't be saved.  I give this a 2X Tee and don't believe I will be back. 

I hope you guys enjoy this blog and please tell me what you think. You can check us out on Facebook,  Instagram and Twitter. 

Remember,  take the time to enjoy the people around you but most importantly make sure that you treat yourself!!!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment